If your oral health care is not at its best, plaque buildup in your mouth can lead to gum disease. Early stage gum disease is called gingivitis. Here are a few facts about gingivitis:
– Gingivitis can be brought on poor oral hygiene, especially if you fail to brush your teeth twice daily and floss once daily.
– Unpleasant habits including smoking or chewing tobacco can lead to gingivitis.
– If left untreated, ongoing gingivitis can transform into severe gum disease and eventual tooth loss.
– Various environmental factors such as pregnancy, genetics, diabetes, and medications you may be using, can all increase your risk of developing gingivitis.
– Gingivitis is typically first spotted in your gums that bleed regularly or easily.
– If your gums are showing indications of excessive redness, swelling, or tenderness in your gums, you may be suffering from gingivitis.
– Bad breath, also called halitosis, is a recognized symptom of gingivitis.
To prevent gingivitis, make sure you are following the proper treatment techniques for a healthy smile that can last a lifetime. If you would like Dr. Sam Markzar and our team at Beverly Hills Periodontal Arts and Implants to bring you in for an oral exam or professional cleaning, please contact our dentist office in Beverly Hills, California, by calling us at (310) 776-9119. We look forward to making your smile shine!